Monday, August 2, 2010

It's So Intense

The day after our 3rd of July feast, I spent most of the morning in the garden tending our beans, beets, blueberries, broccoli, brussels sprouts, carrots, cauliflower, cucumbers, dill, eggplant, hops, melons, onions, pears, peas, peppers, radishes, raspberries, squash, strawberries, etc.  Plus I had to mow.  That kind of work requires a sustainful, nourishing breakfast.

While I was mowing, I noticed something move in a patch of grass I'd just passed over.  This guy was there, looking put out at the loss of his tall-grass habitat.
Sarah and I were so impressed by the nubbly fellow's survival skills (i.e. ducking and looking pissed) that we brewed up a beer in his honor that night: Hoppy Toad.

It's full of (Cascade & Centennial) hops, honey, (biscuit) malt, oats, and survival instinct.  Here it is in secondary fermentation, with whole Cascade hops and Citra pellets:

We just bottled it yesterday -- so it should be drinkable shortly.  When it is I'll share it with you, Food Diary.  And if I can find the toad again, I'll share some with him.

Your pal,
Matt

2 comments:

  1. I am impressed and jealous of your bountiful garden! Could you survive off of it if all of the Rainbow Foods closed?

    Is that pastry coated in macaroni and cheese?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just checking in to post some more garden stuff, actually...

    We could survive for a couple of weeks, probably. We're not canning or anything -- just scarfing stuff as it's ready.

    Also we don't have a lot of any one thing, just lots of different things.

    Those were shaved chunks of white chocolate. It was okay -- the dark chocolate raspberry one probably would have been better.

    ReplyDelete