Sunday, May 30, 2010

Think I'll pack it in and buy a pickup.

Dear Food Diary,


Today Sarah and I participated in the Memorial Day tradition of grilling meat.  I'm not really sure how cooking animal parts is related to honoring the memory of people who have served our country, but we're happy to do our part.  


I went to Dunn Bros for coffee early, then stopped at Bob's Produce Ranch for my meat... but they didn't have what I was looking for (beef rib roast).  So I went down to Byerly's Roseville and picked up a 3 lb slab (and a copy of The Onion for the crossword puzzle.  Sarah and I have been on a bigtime crossword kick).


I seasoned the meat with sea salt, garlic powder, onion powder, course ground pepper, brown sugar, and celery seeds.  
Then I stuck it in the fridge for a few hours while I did some chores.  Thanks for offering to help, by the way, stupid jerkass Food Diary.
I did some more painting and worked on my raspberry patch while the meat was grilling/smoking.  After a couple of hours, the beef clump hit an internal temp of 125, so I pulled it and let it rest while Sarah finished her giant salad.  I grilled up some bread.  Then we ate (thanks for offering to help, by the way).

Tomorrow we're having sandwiches with the leftovers.  Using the leftovers, actually --  not with them.  That would be awkward.  Before that, we have to stop at Byerly's again and pick up some horseradish root, onions, and more French bread.


I'll tell you about it later. 
Most sincerely yours, 


Matt

3 comments:

  1. That meat looks slightly uncooked. You dead, mon?

    Tell me, do you like this music?
    http://www.myspace.com/boomerangson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Slightly uncooked? It's either cooked or it's not... and, uh, it wasn't.

    We like it on the rarer side of medium-rare. But, yeah, I should have left it on for few more degrees. Anyway, we're not dead (yet). Life finds a way.

    Boomerang Son are a little bit too saccharine IMO, which probably sounds stupid coming from me. I don't know why I can get into some super-sweet pop (Wolfie, The Sundays, NP) but not others (Matthew Sweet, Teenage Fanclub). Maybe it's just pop bands that have a female singer vs pop bands where the dudes all sound like chicks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dylan and I had a bet. I just lost.

    ReplyDelete